Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Part one of a short story - 'The Wink'

Molly asked me to put one of my short stories in my blog so that's what I will do... besides I want to too. I thought I might start with a part one of a story called `The Wink'. This story is a strange story in itself. I have a group of people who I email new stories and poems to for them to comment on as to how they like it. This group chose to start this group by their choice; not mine. The group consists of mainly ladies who worked at a Texas hospital where Molly and I worked also. One of the ladies wanted me to create a story from a woman's point of view. She said she wanted the story to be as if a woman had written it. The story, `The Wink' was born. It's a little colorful in one place but it is an important part to make the story evolve. I'll post part of it a little at a time. Might take a couple of days or 15 minutes. I'll let the mood guide me... By the way - I have Molly montoring my stories so I don't get too salty.. Hope y'all enjoy..

....................................................................................
The Wink
By jay wilson ©2005

Now, I am hoping you won’t judge me too harshly. I am a devoted wife and mother of two of the most precious 4 year old twin girls that you can imagine. I am happy with my husband of 7 years but lately things haven’t been so good. Wow, I can’t believe I said that. I do love him but sometimes that, alone, isn’t enough. I guess the events over the last few days have made me realize a lot of things. It’s like that old saying, “you can’t miss what you haven’t had”. That sounds dumb when I say it but it is true. I guess I should start at the beginning if you are to understand and maybe not be so critical of me and what I did.

Like I said, things haven’t been so good between me and Ted. Over the last two years, Ted pays more attention to his job than me. In fact he pays more attention to anything and anyone other than me. I don’t really understand how it started going downhill but when it did, it spiraled out of control. He hardly kisses me any more and I’m not talking about sex. He will leave for work and I’m lucky to get told goodbye; much less a kiss. Our private life isn’t very exciting either. Oh, it’s good enough but I haven’t seen fireworks for a long time. Our bed activities are more like an obligation once or twice a month. I want him but the fire seems to have gone out. The desire just isn’t there any more. When we first married, he was very attentive to my needs and that was just fine with me. God he could make the world go away and take me on a high better than any man I have ever been with before. I used to playfully call him `ready Teddy’. All it took was a wink and he was there. But like I said before, somewhere we lost it. I felt he no longer thought I was attractive after the babies. I felt that my body no longer turned him on. I needed to be desired. I guess that’s why John got my attention. But I need to slow down. I’m getting ahead of myself.

I had left the twins with my Mom so I could do a little grocery shopping. I was in the produce section of the HEB when I first saw him. A tall, slender man was standing at the tomato display and was feeling each one. I guess he was checking for freshness. Anyway, he was dark and had that confident look on his face like he knew what he was doing. I don’t know but there was something about him that just seemed to infatuate me. I kept sneaking little peeks at him as I moved along the aisle. He was probably 10 or so years older than me. He wasn’t that built but did appear to be in good shape and tanned. His colored T-shirt revealed the man’s developed chest and arms. I guess the young girls would use the expression that he was a `hunk’. For some reason, he really had gotten my attention. I wasn’t thinking about intimanty or wondering what he looked like bare-chested. But I will admit, I wondered how he kissed. I know it sounds stupid but that has always been my thing. Back in high school, I wouldn’t go out with a guy again if he was a bad kisser. But I was usually a good judge as to how good they would be. Looking at my mystery man, I knew he would be great.

My eyes were still roaming over him when I glanced back up at his face. My God, he was looking at me and saw that I was watching him. He winked. I cut my eyes away and hurried to the checkout line. I wasn’t through getting my groceries but I made my hasty retreat to escape my embarrassment. I glanced back in the direction of the produce section and I didn’t see the man. I paid for my two bags of groceries and left the store. Just as I got to my car, one of the bags slipped from my fingers and spilled out on the pavement. I guess the man made me more nervous than I thought. As I began to pick up the can goods, I realized my hands were trembling. I smiled to myself and thought how dumb I was being. I was acting like a 16 year old school girl before her first date. I reached for a can of soup that, I’m sure, had rolled just far enough out of my grasp to make me stretch out for it. As my fingers tickled the side of the run-away can, a hand, attached to a tanned arm picked it up. I looked up and there stood my `winking guy’.


note: stay tuned for next part
...............................................................................


A little fun note: Over the years I have had LOTS of stories sent to me written by people. Some I knew - most I didn't. I guess they think I know something about writing because I was writing a column. While I REALLY do believe anyone can write - there are those exceptions. I learned that some people cheat by finding a story somewhere and putting THEIR name on the story. I have even found two of my short stories published on a couple of web sites under someone else's name. I don't mind my stories being shared as long as my name goes with it. But then, how did I find these stolen stories??? - simple ... highlight a couple of sentences off a suspect story and hit copy. Go to a search engine (I use Google) and paste it in the subject line. Hit enter and the search will bring up even site that has those EXACT words. You can check any story to see who wrote it and/or published it in this way... If ya wanted too ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Awwwwww.....leaving me wanting to hear more!!! Good job. Looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete